[chuck-dev] GLucK and good Linux IDE

Peter Todd chuck at xinaesthetic.net
Mon Oct 20 04:30:47 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Jacob Lewellen <jlewelle at princeton.edu>wrote:

> Hi,
>      I'm a junior CS major at Princeton and for my Junior Independent work
> for this semester, I'm going to be try my hand at adding a graphical API to
> ChucK, which will be called GLucK.  The current plan is to create another
> thread for just graphics that will be controlled at the back end by GLUT
> functions.

Did you realise there development of a similar thing already started, even
under the name GlucK, although it's not currently in an accessible form?
 Well worth you doing a search; there were some comments not so long ago,
including from Ge on some of the pitfalls encountered IIRC.

> The other question I have is if anyone knows of a good C++ IDE for Linux to
> use for developing ChucK.  If necessary I'll just use Emacs or something of
> that ilk, but if there's something good out there that has good
> autocompletion and that sort of thing, I'd prefer it.

Well, I haven't used either Linux or C++ for a while, and haven't done very
much C++ so I'm not talking from all that much experience here.  Codeblocks
is fairly decent I think.  I gather CDT for Eclipse is pretty mature now -
Eclipse is great for Java, not so sure about C++.  Well worth a try.  There
are some other well established more linux-centric IDEs like KDevelop and
Ajunta... but having done little more than "hello world" with them I'll not
comment.

Cheers, and good luck with the project,
Peter