[chuck-dev] Porting ChucK to OpenBSD

Will Maier willmaier at ml1.net
Mon Sep 29 12:26:14 EDT 2008

Hi Kas-

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 05:20:26PM +0200, Kassen wrote:
> Strictly speaking I don't think you need it at all to have a
> usable ChucK; ChucK was fine before we had it.  Personally I'm a
> big fan of the Joystick HID interface; I find game controllers to
> often be very expressive, inspirational in design and relatively
> affordable compared to commercial controllers meant for music...
> but you don't actually need any to ChucK.
>
> I wouldn't make porting ChucK dependant on a complete HID game
> device implementation. The one in ChucK is incomplete as well and
> doesn't (yet) support HID output (for things like leds, rumble and
> force-feedback).

Cool -- thanks for the input (no pun intended, honestly). ;) I'd
love to have HID support on OpenBSD someday since, as you say, it
opens up lots of very cool options.

For now, though, I implemented a null-HID skeleton to make things
build on OpenBSD. With my updated patchset[0], I can build chuck
itself and run the examples. Whee!

As I said before, I'm very happy to provide access to an OpenBSD
machine if any ChucK developers are interested in extending support
to our system. If there's anything I can do to make it more likely
that you'll incorporate my patchset upstream, I'm happy to do that
work, too.

Thanks again for the quick help (and the wonderful software)!

[0] http://www.lfod.us/~will/chuck-openbsd-2.diff

--

[Will Maier]-----------------[willmaier at ml1.net|http://www.lfod.us/]