[chuck-users] priorities for next release

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 17:11:11 EDT 2007

On 8/29/07, Martin Ahnelöv <operagasten at gmail.com> wrote:

> ons 2007-08-29 klockan 18:40 +0200 skrev Kassen:
> >

> > On 8/29/07, Martin Ahnelöv <operagasten at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >         You should be able to $ chuck + foo bar - 1 2 3 = 4 foobar.
> >         Nuff said.
> >
> > Could you perhaps still say a little more? I don't understand this at
> > all, I fear.
>
> I mean that I would like to add teo new shreds, remove 3, and replace
> one with another file in the same go, to get the "emotial effect" that I
> I'm seeking. It could be used to change from verse to refrain in a
> popsong, for example.

Yes, I see now. I was completely confused, I had asumed the dollar sign
meant you wanted to cast a variable called "chuck" to.... and there I lost
track. My oops.

I agree that more versatility there would help a lot, particularly where the
MiniAudicle is concerned and a graphical interface could make it all even
easier. One thing I'd like is the ability to update some code, then replace
all shreds that came from that window/file in one swoop instead of just one.

Sure, but chuck have never accepted any numbers of any kind at the
> command-line.

Yes, my oops. I had somehow asumed that you wanted to substract 3 from some
value named "chuck". I apologise and blame a lack of coffee.

Vool! That's also something I would like to see: documentation on all
> features in the language!

Yes, we would all like this, I think. At least we have a WiKi page where
everybody can post additions, remarks and requests which should at least
decrease the strain on maintaining the manual. I believe Adam Tindale was
the last to be semi-officially in charge of the manual but other things took
his time. I'd volunteer but I'd need a proofreader as I'm not a native
English speaker and I still don't speak any Latex at all (the manual is done
in Latex)

At least most things can be found by searching the list archives and the
manual isn't *that* out of date. Aside from the latest greatest stuff this
matter might be one of the worst missing bits.

> dur => blackhole would be exactly like SinOsc => blackhole, but with
> time. When you, for example, chuck second into blackhole, the shred will
> forward 1 second in it's own timeline (A bit like the -s otion, if I
> recall).

I'm still not sure exactly how this would be different. What would happen to
playing Ugens that would be in the shred? Would those keep computing?

Example:
> It could be used for plotting numbers over time. If you had two
> envelopes that ascending from 10 and 15 up to 88 and 100, you could add
> their value()s to their respective array of floats, round() the floats
> to ints. Then, in a for loop, you have the computer play a random
> midi-note between min[i] and max[i]. Congratulations! You got a
> solo-playing computer!
> (Sure, I realise that you could do this very task in other ways...)

Yes, chucking time to now would do here, I think. Maybe you could compare
how this would be done now to what you propose in some chuck code and some
pseudo-code?