[chuck-users] chuck~ for PD

martin robinson mjr at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 13 10:18:40 EDT 2007

> > Pd io;
> > SinOsc s => dac;
> > io.get("abc") => s.freq;
> > 2::second => now;
>
> This is the same plea I was having for max/msp [chuck~]-- I would
> really like it if there was some way of writing a polling or
> notifying ugen that would allow dynamic 'external' entry for a
> parsed and executing chuck~ script.  I don't think that the OSC or
> other net models currently in chuck will work, because they assume
> that the script is in process of being evaluated.  The chuck~
> objects parse the script and then call the chuck VM to run it -- at
> that point it seems that the initial values in the script are fixed,
> but maybe I'm missing something?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something here, but each time you
call io.get(...) it should return the latest value delivered to the chuck~
inlet. You might want to consider making a shred with a test loop
to get a more real-time behavior.

while (100::ms => now) {
  io.get("abc) = s.freq;
}

(I haven't tried this though! Something similar might work)

It would be great if instead of a Pd ugen, it was more of an
event interface like HidIn, which would allow one to use the
ChucK syntax a bit more naturally.

Does this clear anything up or am I missing the point entirely?

--
martin robinson