[chuck-users] OSX updates =< real-time audio?

Ge Wang ge at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Apr 14 02:23:59 EDT 2008

Greetings,

We are experiencing some rather unfriendly real-time behavior on
OS X, seemingly after doing the latest apple upgrades... here are
some details, at least on my machine:

* system: Macbook Pro / OS X (10.4.11)
* updates: Quicktime 7.4.5 + MPB EFI Firmware Update 1.5
* symptoms: real-time audio "goes to poop", even under moderate
   loads.
* workaround: running command line chuck in BLOCKING mode (via
--blocking) seems to work, however the default CALLBACK mode seems
completely hosed, even with bigger buffer sizes.  This is especially
problematic for the miniAudicle, which doesn't have the option currently
to choose between blocking vs. callback.

Has anyone else noticed similar behavior, either on Tiger or Leopard?
Or is this an isolated case for my system?  We'd appreciate any input!

Thanks!!

Best,
Ge!