[chuck-users] delay times of STK delays seem to be 1 sample off?

Brad Garton garton at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 3 10:27:32 EST 2008

On 29 Feb 2008, at 21:10, Kassen wrote:

> ChucK uses a "pull through" model to calculate samples. So; every
> time the DAC wants to output a sample the DAC asks (pulls) all
> Ugens connected to it to report a value and those in turn ask all
> their inputs for one before returning it (recursively). This works
> very well and guarantees a proper calculation order of samples

I had a problem with the 'pull' model, though, in trying to craft a
Ugen that
would allow me to send UI input to chuck from an external environment.
This was in the chuck~ object, where I hoped to be able to set up a
way of
connecting data coming from max/msp objects (sliders, etc.) into an
executing chuck script.  The difficulty was to create a Ugen who could
'grab' a value when data appeared, or at least do some kind of
sample-and-hold equivalent so that a data value would be maintained
without having to constantly poll all possible interface objects.  I
recall
there being some problem trying to do this in chuck~ in addition to the
inefficiency, but I don't remember exactly what the problem was.

I also haven't looked at the source for the audicle stuff and how it
handles
UI input.  Maybe there's an elegant solution I don't know.

brad
http://music.columbia.edu/~brad