[chuck-users] Keyboard Stuff

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Fri Apr 17 13:54:30 EDT 2009

On 17 Apr 2009, at 19:38, Kassen wrote:

>> Yes, that is most surely the reason. The tricky part is know
>> exactly how advanced ChucK is, knowing what has to be done by hand.
>> It would have been cool if one just fed those patches into the
>> output, and the program figured it out.
>
> Yes, I see. I had a quick glance at your code and with your setup
> you'll end up with a lot of connected yet silent series of UGens. On
> top of that you'll be creating double connections so even if your
> CPU could keep up you would run into clipping.

I think both may happen (by my testing): the CPU load may increase to
the point that it is the delays that causes the crash, but also before.

> The most obvious strategy might be disconecting the UGens again at a
> isButtonUp() event but that would mean cutting off the envelope's
> decay which is likely undesirable.

Yes, or having fewer generators, and letting the keys circulate
assignment around them, which may have the same effect (which, when I
read ahead, see that you are mentioning, too.

> What ChucK is doing here indeed isn't very "smart" but on the bright
> side it is behaving according to the specs and this behaviour can be
> useful in other cases. For your needs I'd suggest looking into voice
> cycling; there are examples about polyphony in the /midi/ directory.
> I know you aren't using MIDI here but the strategy for dealing with
> polyphony without overloading the CPU will be useful, at least as a
> strating point.

In the case of MIDI, it may be necessary, due to a limited number of
channels. Scala uses complex algorithms for that.

But on a first, try, I was hoping to void that.

> Give a shout if you get stuck there.

Sure.

   Hans