[chuck-users] odd hid issue (touchpad)

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Fri Jul 17 03:40:23 EDT 2009

On 17 Jul 2009, at 07:03, Kassen wrote:

> Last night I found a bit of a odd issue with a touchpad on a laptop
> running Linux. I tried to open the mouse as a HID device and it
> correctly found the one mouse attached, being the build in touchpad
> which it described as acting through ps2 (I believe that's normal
> for touchpads). The odd thing is that ChucK didn't get any data from
> it when moving my finger over it or clicking the buttons.
>
> I then pluged in a Logitech optical mouse which was -after a restart
> of the vm for safety- identified as mouse 0 and which did operate
> correctly.

You might want to have a look at the spacenavigator thread, for example
   https://lists.cs.princeton.edu/pipermail/chuck-users/2009-May/004258.html
and what follows.

The HIDs work so that they have a series of button which can give
range of values and they are also marked for intended use. So a mouse
report relative position or velocities (don't remember which), whereas
a trackpad report absolute position - a different variable.

I hacked up a program that reports them all on Mac OS X.

Chuck only implements a few of them.

On Mac OS X, all HISs in each category start at 0. So there is no need
going up in numbers.

   Hans