[chuck-users] benchmarking UGens

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 06:51:46 EDT 2009

Hi

We all know that chuck is not the fastest audio software out there. But
I guess like me you've all found ways to work around that. I often found
myself wondering "how much can I save by disconnecting this UGen" or
"exactly how expensive is another NRev".

For this purpose I started to do some benchmarking in the form of a
bunch of .ck files and a bash script. My initial results are here:

http://atte.dk/chuck/results.txt

The first line is "chuck --loop", so the wm alone. "nb" is the number of
files, "cpu" is the cpu usage as reported by htop on my laptop (2Ghz
Intel dualcore), and "cpu normalized" is cpu-usage (simple
multiplication) at nb=100.

Of course this doesn't make sense without seeing the .ck files, so I've
put them here:

http://atte.dk/chuck/performance_tests.tgz

I'm quite aware of that this approach is very un-scientific, so any
input on how to improve it is more than welcome. Esp. I'm wondering how
10 * PRCRev = 7% and 50 * PRCRev = 46% (should have been 35%).

I'm gonna continue my tests, but you're all welcome to supply files for
testing. Maybe this should all end up on the wiki?

NB: This is in no way a critique of the developers. Sure I would love to
see a faster chuck, but we still love it and use it.

--
Atte

http://atte.dk    http://modlys.dk