[chuck-users] LiSa looping issue

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 19:28:04 EDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 07:19:06PM -0400, Matt Bard wrote:
> So, it appears this might be an old computer issue more than anything else.
>  After testing some on my new laptop, it appears that all works just as
> expected.  I also tried a very short duration (100ms or less) on my older
> computer and was able to get things working.  That means that ChucK is behaving
> properly, so far as I can tell.

End good all good.

> While we're on this though, is there any way to spork a function that doesn't
> operate on the same period in Jack?  For example, is there a method to allow
> this to be done out of realtime through a separate thread?  I'd still like to
> be able to use the old machine for this.

I'm not sure I understand the first	question, the second sounds like a
(partial?) re-phrasing of my suggestion to have parsing and
compilation done in a separate thread (probably with a lower priority
to the OS) than the main one which also runs the VM. If that is your
question then no, all of ChucK is in a single thread, from the OS
perspective. There has been talk of improving that and about other
strategies to reduce the CPU load. The load is indeed quite high, and
it is high for solid reasons, but not all of those reasons are likely
to be there all the time so gains could be made there.

> Thanks for all the help and thoughts!

You are welcome, that is what lists are for.