[chuck-users] Convolution FFT Performance

Mitch Kaufman mitch.kaufman at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 22:49:08 EDT 2015

Hi List,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help with a performance issue I am having with ChucK in respect to the use of FFT/IFFT.

I've written a Pulsar Generator and I've added a convolution function to the pulse train of the generator.  I found a previous thread that I've used as a basis for the convolution (see the posting below).  The main change was to replace the following line:
adc => Gain input => FFT fftx => blackhole;

with this one:

SinOsc sin => WinFuncEnv env => Pan2 pan => Gain input => FFT fftx => blackhole;
At rest, the JACK DSP Load is about 2.2%.  When I run the Pulsar Generator at a reasonable rate, the DSP Load jumps to about 3.5% or so without convolution.  When I add the convolution function as below, it quickly jumps to a 100% usage with steady Xruns.  The sample sizes I am using for the SndBuf statement below are somewhere between 18000 and 28000 samples.

Is there a strategy anyone could suggest to achieve greater performance of the convolution function below or are there alternative strategies for implementing convolution in general?  I'd appreciate any advice.

+++
[chuck-users] Daniel: Convolution (FFT version)
    Perry R Cook
    prc at CS.Princeton.EDU

    Tue Nov 25 19:09:31 EST 2014